16/11/16

Convent and Institute of Beata Vergine Addolorata
































Convent and Institute of Beata Vergine Addolorata 
Milano. Italy. 1946-55 
Architect: Luigi Caccia Dominioni

Commissioned by the Institute Blessed Virgin of Sorrows and designed in 1946, the building is an integral part of a much more comprehensive project that encompassed the religious institution’s entire property extending to the intersection of via Calatafimi and via Cosimo del Fante where a multi-use building for flats and shops would later be erected in 1959. Completed in 1955 after various construction phases, the brief called for the residence of a women’s religious institute. It consists of a single, five-storey volume with three appendices at the rear for stairs and services. The decision to set the building back from the neighbouring via Sambuco was based on the size of one of the two buildings of the main floor, placed perpendicular to the main building, which houses the chapel and a large hall. A larger church was intended to be inserted later into the project above the existing sacred space, which would have extended to the border of the block connecting with via Calatafimi.
Encargado por el Instituto de la Santísima Virgen de los Perdones y diseñado en 1946, el edificio es una parte integral de un proyecto de mayor alcance que enlazaba la propiedad de la entidad religiosa con un complejo híbrido residencial y comercial que sería construido en el año 1959. Completado en 1955 después de varias fases, el encargo requería una residencia para mujeres pertenecientes a la orden. Consiste en un sencillo volumen de cinco plantas con tres apéndices en la parte trasera para escaleras y servicios. La decisión de colocar el edificio dando la espalda a la vía Sambuco se tomó en base al tamaño de uno de los dos edificios en la planta principal, situado en perpendicular al edificio principal, albergando la capilla y un gran recibidor. Se pretendía emplazar una iglesia mayor más tarde sobre el el espacio sagrado existente, el cual se habría extendido hasta el borde del lote conectándolo con la vía Calatafimi.
 
The architecture has a very uniform design in plan, laid out on five levels: the first floor, containing the entrance and refectories, from which extend the shorter volumes perpendicular to the main building; the second floor, which is characterised by an open gallery and spaces for studying; the third and the fourth floors with the common dormitories, topped off with the final floor, set aside for the nun’s small residences.
El diseño arquitectónico presenta una disposición uniforme en planta a lo largo de los cinco niveles: la primera planta, albergando la entrada y refectorio, desde la cual se extienden los volúmenes más reducidos perpendiculares al edificio principal; la segunda planta, caracterizada por una galería abierta y la presencia de los espacios de estudio; la tercera y cuarta planta con los dormitorios comunes, coronada por la planta final, reservada para las pequeñas residencias de las monjas.
 
The building’s appearance and its overall layout are highly influenced by the nearby Sant’Eustorgio: the façade facing Via Santa Croce is more elaborate due to the stairwells and mechanical areas, clad alternately in either solid or hollow hexagonal elements in sandstone that are combined following a rectangular grid pattern, creating a rhythm between solid surfaces and lattice work that protect the most private areas of the building. The façades of the larger structure are characterised by a continuous ribbon window and by the loggia that, albeit interrupted by the mechanical volumes, take up the design on the main façade. The latter, facing via Sambuco, displays strong similarities with the compositional ordering system adopted for the Caccia house in piazza Sant’Ambrogio done around the same time. Both have a rhythmic distribution of horizontal bands with a solid base on the ground floor. The balconies are modulated vertically by white pillars that stand out against the dark brown, glazed sandstone tile cladding.
La apariencia general del edificio y su disposición están fuertemente influidos por la cercana presencia de Sant'Eustorgio: la fachada enfrentada a Via Santa Croce es más elaborada debido a los huecos de escalera y las áreas de servicio, cubierta de manera alterna por sólidos o huecos elementos hexagonales de piedra arenisca, combinados siguiendo un patrón rectangular a modo de celosía que protege las zonas más privadas del edificio. Las fachadas longitudinales se caracterizan por ventanas longitudinales continuas y una loggia que, aunque interrumpida por los volúmenes mecánicos, estableciendo el diseño de la fachada principal. La última, frente a vía Sambuco, presenta fuertes similitudes con el sistema compositivo utilizado por el propio Caccia en su casa de la plaza Sant'Ambroggio, coétanea del convento. Ambas presentan una disposición rítmica de bandas horizontales con una base sólida en planta baja. Los balcones están modulados verticalmente por pilares blancos que resaltan sobre un fondo oscuro de revestimiento de piedra
   
Text by Marco Ghilotti





Image by Vincenzo Martengani

Image by Marco Introioni


Image by Vincenzo Martengani

Image by Vincenzo Martengani

Image by Mattia Morandia

Image by Vincenzo Martengani
 


VIA:

Cite: 
"Convent and Institute of Beata Vergine Addolorata". Hidden Architecture 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...