20/4/17

Las Atarazanas



Las Atarazanas Reales de Sevilla
Seville, Spain. XIIIth Century


Las Reales Atarazanas, an emblematic monument of Seville and of the Spanish Historical Heritage, are the largest and oldest docks preserved in Spain and one of the most important in the world. They were built in 1252 by order of Alfonso X the Wise for the construction of galleys in order to combat the North African Muslims - "pagan people" -. They were located in the famous Arenal, a large open space with sand, almost at the water level to facilitate the transfer of large boats. Located between the Puerta de Triana of the old wall and the Torre del Oro, it captivated writers of the Golden Age like Cervantes, Quevedo and Lope de Vega. The creation of Atarazanas made Seville the center and base of the nascent navy of the Castilian Crown, protagonist of extraordinary events that would later make the city the most important port in the world.
Las Reales Atarazanas, monumento emblemático de Sevilla y del Patrimonio histórico español, son las mayores y más antiguas que se conservan en España y una de las más importantes del mundo. Fueron edificadas en 1252 por orden de Alfonso X el Sabio para la construcción de galeras con el fin de combatir a los musulmanes norteafricanos -“la gente pagana“-. Se ubicaron en el famoso Arenal, un gran espacio abierto con suelo de arena, casi al nivel del agua para facilitar el traslado de las grandes embarcaciones. Situado entre la Puerta de Triana de la antigua muralla y la Torre del Oro, cautivó a escritores del Siglo de Oro como Cervantes, Quevedo y Lope de Vega. La creación de las Atarazanas hizo de Sevilla centro y base de la naciente marina de la Corona castellana, protagonista de extraordinarios acontecimientos que más tarde harían de la ciudad el puerto más importante del mundo.









In the first third of the fifteenth century the Atarazanas armed their last great fleets of galleys. In 1503, Isabel la Católica established in this building the House of Contract, a milestone with which the city of Seville began a period of intense splendor that had its reflection in the fields of arts and economics, and also in the Natural sciences and technologies. During the reign of Charles I became the headquarters of the Royal Artillery Maestranza, beginning an intense period of reforms that will change the physiognomy of the monument. This occupation lasted until 1970, when it stops being used by the Real Maestranza and is destined to other military uses. In 1587 the Sevillian Customs was placed in the vaults 13, 14 and 15. Finally, in 1593 Felipe II forbids that ships made in Seville are used in the Race of the Indies by the worse quality of wood, in front of those from the north of Spain. 
En el primer tercio del siglo XV las Atarazanas armaron sus últimas grandes flotas de galeras. En 1503, Isabel la Católica estableció en este edificio la Casa de la Contratación, un hito con el que la ciudad hispalense inició un período de intenso esplendor que tuvo su reflejo en los ámbitos de las artes y la economía, y también en el de las ciencias naturales y las tecnologías. Durante el reinado de Carlos I se convierten en sede de la Real Maestranza de Artillería, comenzando un intenso periodo de reformas que cambiará la fisonomía del monumento. Esta ocupación duró hasta 1970, cuando deja de utilizarse por la Real Maestranza y se destina a otros usos militares. En 1587 se situó la Aduana sevillana en las naves 13, 14 y 15. Finalmente, en 1593 Felipe II prohíbe que barcos fabricados en Sevilla se empleen en la Carrera de Indias por la peor calidad de madera, frente a los del norte de España.








Atarazanas are then used as a storehouse for weapons, ammunition and supplies from the ships of the Carrera de Indias, as well as storage of goods (sugar, ginger, cinnamon, rich woods, etc.) from America. The remaining vaults were rented to individuals. The use as a port warehouse made it possible to decide to raise the level of the ground. The original height was buried under five and a half meters of dirt and debris, considerably reducing the height of the Gothic-Mudejar arches of the shipyards. In 1641 the construction of the Hospital de la Caridad and its church, occupied the land of five of the vaults. During the reign of Charles III, the military authorities were occupying the Atarazanas decks with constructions that, in the Report of the current Project, qualify as "of little architectural, constructive and historical value." The decadence accelerated in the eighteenth century, when Cadiz took the House of Hiring. The rest of the structure of the original building survived complete until 1945, when five of the vaults were demolished to leave room for the building of the Delegation of Property. Today only seven of the seventeen original vaults remain. 
Las Atarazanas quedan entonces para almacén de las armas, municiones y pertrechos de los navíos de la Carrera de Indias, así como almacenamiento de las mercancías (azúcar, jengibre, canela, ricas maderas, etc.) provenientes de América. Las restantes naves se alquilaron a particulares. La utilización como almacén portuario hizo que se decidiera subir el nivel del suelo. La cota original quedó enterrada bajo cinco metros y medio de tierra y escombros, mermando considerablemente la altura de los arcos gótico-mudéjares de los astilleros. En 1641 la construcción del Hospital de la Caridad y su iglesia, ocupó el terreno de cinco de las naves. Rodrigo Caro a comienzos del XVII diría que “el edificio está tan atajado y cortado por almacenes y casas particulares, y otros lugares públicos que no se ve lo que es o fue, si no es considerando y viendo algunas piezas dél, por donde se deducen las otras y el todo de la fábrica”. Durante el reinado de Carlos III, las autoridades militares fueron ocupando las cubiertas de las atarazanas con unas construcciones que, en la Memoria del actual Proyecto se califican como “de escaso valor arquitectónico, constructivo e histórico”. La decadencia se acelera en el siglo XVIII, cuando Cádiz se lleva la Casa de Contratación. El resto de la estructura del edificio original sobrevivió completa hasta 1945, cuando cinco de las naves fueron derribadas para dejar sitio a la edificación del edificio de la Delegación de Hacienda. Hoy quedan en pie sólo siete de las diecisiete naves originales.









It is a Gothic and Mudejar work, with a powerful structure, all built in a brick fabric that worked Mudejar workers in the 13th century. 17 wide and long naves rose perpendicular to the Guadalquivir and in front of the Almohad fence of the city. Covered by arched vaults could build the largest naves of the time. Thenaves communicate laterally through thick, slightly pointed arcs facing each other that start directly from the ground due to the filling. The naves have dimensions of a hundred meters long by twelve high, those of brick pilasters are of rectangular section. 
Se trata de una obra gótica y mudéjar, de potente estructura, construida toda ella en fábrica de ladrillo que labraron los alarifes mudéjares en el siglo XIII. Se levantaron 17 anchas y largas naves en sentido perpendicular al Guadalquivir y delante de la cerca almohade de la ciudad. Cubiertas por bóvedas de arista podían construir los mayores barcos de la época. Las naves se comunican lateralmente a través de gruesos arcos ligeramente apuntados y enfrentados entre sí que arrancan directamente desde el suelo debido al relleno. Las naves tienen unas dimensiones de cien metros de largo por doce de alto, las de pilastras de ladrillo son de sección rectangular.

















Cite:
"Las Atarazanas". Hidden Architecture
    
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...